Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Humanity was justified at the cross!!!

Rom 5:6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, because we have now been declared righteous by his blood, we will be saved through him from God's wrath.
Rom 5:10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, since we have been reconciled, will we be saved by his life?

Note that while we were helpless ungodly sinners who were enemies, Christ died for us, been declared righteous by his blood, will be saved from God's wrath, and we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son

At the foot of the cross were many helpless ungodly sinners who were the enemies of Jesus, yet He said, "Father forgive them for they don't know what they are doing". I believe the Father was in agreement with this prayer of Jesus and so their sins were or will be forgiven on the merits of Jesus alone. Mankind was declared righteous, or justified on that day as confirmed by verse 18.

Rom 5:18 Consequently, just as one offense resulted in condemnation for everyone, so one act of righteousness results in justification and life for everyone.

6 comments:

karen said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog, Don. I got confused and thought you were my buddy Don R. Check out his stuff, too, and Brian's linked on my other blog, www.theswordsstillout.blogspot.com

How'd you find me?

Good stuff. Glad you're with the total love of God! It really is very Good News.

Tracy Simmons said...

So glad to have found this blog. Keep saying it; the world needs to hear this truth!

Tracy Simmons said...

By the way, Don, can you tell me what the name of your blog means?

don said...

Tracy it means "slave of Jesus Christ"

Toni said...

Hi don
Thank you for your visit and comment on my blog. I read your beautiful message here and was concerned that I did not see a message for the need of repentence.
[quote]
"I believe the Father was in agreement with this prayer of Jesus and so their sins were or will be forgiven on the merits of Jesus alone."

I am sure that was just an oversight.

Many blessings to you.

don said...

Once a person comes to belief, which the Word indicates will occur for all created beings,that is the beginning of repentance as to repent means to change the mind; i.e. change the way you have been thinking. As "metanoeo" is a combination of meta = change and noeo = using the mind. The following is from the WordStudy Dictionary.

μετανοέω
metanoéō; contracted metanoṓ, fut. metanoḗsō, from metá (G3326), denoting change of place or condition, and noéō (G3539), to exercise the mind, think, comprehend.

My post was focused on what happened at the cross; what the blood of Jesus did for us before we repent, "while we were ungodly and enemies". God conciliated humanity to Himself and has done His part. As Jesus said "it is finished". He died to save us from ourselves; from sin. Once a person comes to belief (repents), then the reconciliation is complete.

An additional note might fit in at this point. Repentance is not regret. There is another word for that which is "metamelomai". One can regret what they did, but until they repent, all the regret in the world is useless. I can regret a bad behavior, but until I repent (change my mind) about behaving in that way, it does me no good. I just wanted to add that last note as people sometimes confuse repent and regret. I believe Jesus wants us to repent and get on with living for Him and not live in regret, although I will allow that when one first repents, a little healthy regret might be OK, as long as we don't stay in remorse or regret.